Marble Arch, a white carrara marble monument ,originally symbolized the British victories during the Napoleonic wars. Marble Arch’s design was based on that of the Arch of Constantine in Rome. It now stands on a large traffic island at the junction of Oxford Street, Park Lane and Edgware Road. Until 1851 it stood in front of the Buckingham Palace. The name “Marble Arch” not only refers to the landmark of London but also the locality in West London where the Marble Arch is situated. An underground station also named after Marble Arch.
Marble Arch is always a celebrated royal symbol for a long time as John Nash designed it in 1825 as ceremonial entrance to the courtyard of the new Buckingham Palace. Marble Arch has a commemorative sculpture. John Flaxman designed this and a bronze equestrian statue was chosen from Sir Francis Chantrey with the intention of placing it on the top of the Marble Arch. Marble Arch’s construction was started in1827 but the flow of it was interrupted several times because of rising costs. Finally Marble Arch was completed in 1833. The nearest London Underground Station is Marble Arch on the central line. Marble Arch. London mesmerized people from ever part by its beauty and aristocracy.