The Piccadilly Circus, located at the heart of London city is basically a road junction of five major streets, viz. Regent Street, Shaftesbury Avenue, Piccadilly and Covent Street; and the public place of London’s West End in the city of Westminster. Here, the word “circus” (meaning circle, in Latin) around which the city traffic is circulated. This was primarily created by John Nash, in the year 1918, in order to connect Cartlon House with Regent’s House in accordance to King George’s IV’s plan.
Since 1885 with the creation of the Shaftsbury Avenue, the plaza draws a heavy multitude of people and is also an attractive site for advertisers who have been putting up huge billboards surrounding the entire area, through the decades. The Shaftsbury Memorial Fountain, built in the year 1893 to commemorate Lord Shaftsbury, stands at the centre. It was made of bronze but the seminude statue of Eros on top is made of aluminum. The name “Piccadilly” comes from a 17th century frilled collar by the name of piccadil, which was fashioned by a tailor named, Roger Baker who lived in that area. Presently, Piccadilly Circus is partly pedestrianized and a popular place for the common people to assemble before going for other activities.