Admiralty Arch is a large office building in London. It incorporates an archway providing road and pedestrian access. It connects The Mall, which extends to the south-west and Trafalgar Square, to the north-east. It was completed in the year 1912 and built by John Mowlem and Company. This building also adjoins the Old Admiralty Building.
The Admiralty Arch takes its name from the nearby Royal Navy Headquarters. Sir Aston Webb, who designed this landmark, is also credited for having worked on other famous landmarks as Buckingham Palace and the Victoria and Albert Museum. The Admiralty Arch was part of a master plan by Sir Aston Webb himself. His dream was to turn The Mall into a royal, stately and magnificent boulevard.
There is a Latin inscription on one side of the arch which pays tribute to the famous queen, it reads: “In the tenth year of the reign of King Edward VII, to Queen Victoria from a grateful nation, 1910.”
The other attractions include a statue of Captain James Cook just outside the arch. He was an eighteenth century cartographer, explorer and navigator. The Admiralty Arch has served many purposes, like as offices and residences for the Sea Lords, leaders of the Royal Navy. But today, it is home to several British government offices.
Another remarkable feature of the Admiralty Arch is its “nose”. The cement nose-shaped protrusion is found in the arch to the left side of the central arch. It is exactly the size of a human nose and there are many legends as to the reason for its presence.